· America is the cradle of capitalism. A New Yorker, James Otis, has Bapu’s articles. He decides to auction!
· Indian government makes token noises and feeble attempts to negotiate with the owner and secure the items
· The owner puts forward conditions, such as reduction of defense expenditure and diverts the money for social causes (Good intent. But he should advise his countrymen to try and learn/practice Gandhian values too)
· Few prominent NRI’s enter the fray to ensure the articles reach India
· The articles are picked up for a staggering $1.8 mn…. by UB Group’s Vijay Mallya
· Govt claims they ‘procured the items through Mallya’ and confirms ‘it is UPA Govt victory’ !
Wow ! Govt had to take help of the liquor baron to get these articles…. Bapu always stressed on the need for purity of not only the goal, but also ‘the path’! These articles are symbols of Gandhian values and legacy. But, at what price ? Did our political leaders take a moment to think what would have been Bapu’s stand ? If we really want to express our love and respect for Gandhiji, we should practice his teachings and make his value system (more relevant today, than before) part of our social fabric. Food for thought for our political leaders…. And also for us, the responsible citizen.